Horror's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Horror's Domain!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bella

Bella

Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? Empty
PostSubject: Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?   Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 am

Both of these articles try to explain what is going on. No one has updated the suit since April 21st of this year and this is a quote off Stephanie Meyers' site:

April 21, 2009

There are a lot of things I should be doing updates on—for example, how awesome and successful the Book Babe event was, and how cool it was to meet all the other authors and hang out with them a little bit, and how much I appreciated all the tremendous support from the fans—but instead of commenting on happy things (which I admit I should have done a week ago; I was waiting for things to slow down for a day, silly me!), I'm commenting on ridiculous internet rumors so that my publicist's day will be just a little bit better.

I am not being sued. No one has contacted me or my publisher to inform either of us that I'm being sued. I never had a roommate named Heidi. There is no professor in the BYU English department named Dr. Peter Benton (though there is a character on ER by that name). And most of all, I began writing Twilight exactly the way I've told people in countless interviews and events for the past six years: I had a cool dream, I wrote it down, writing it down was really fun, so I kept writing until I had a whole book.

The sad thing about this silly situation is that so many legitimate news outlets reported it without doing any research at all to determine if there was any truth to the story. And at least two of these facts are really, really easy to confirm. Particularly, the one about the BYU professor. A simple on-line search can give you that information. Also, a quick call to my publisher would have cleared up the whole lawsuit story. (Kudos to the fansites who did their due diligence and debunked this rumor days ago.)

I guess the moral of the story is that—big surprise—you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Seems like it's April Fool's Day every day on-line. So no worries, the filming of New Moon continues uninterrupted. And, to end this on a bright note, the filming of New Moon continues to be awesome. It's all so beautiful! Chris Weitz is brilliant. Kristen, Rob, and Taylor are beyond words. I have gotten choked up more than once on set due to their amazing performances. I can't wait to see it all put together!

Steph

Here is an article I believe written by a Twilight fan:

Friday, August 21, 2009
Stephanie Meyers Officially Being Sued

Stephanie Meyers is having a rough month. She first was handed a cease-and-desist order for Breaking Dawn, the fourth book
in the Twilight series. Now, Meyers is being sued on grounds of plagiarism of another novel. According to to TMZ, author, Jordan Scott claims, "Breaking Dawn" shows "striking, articulable and substantial" similarities to Scott's "The Nocturne," in "plot lines, themes, dialogue, mood, setting, pace, characters, sequence of events [and] ideas."

Hachette Book Group, Meyer's publisher stated that the suit is "completely without merit and simply a publicity stunt to further Ms. Scott's career. It is indisputable that Ms. Meyer's 'Breaking Dawn' was based on her original 'Twilight' sequel 'Forever Dawn,' which Meyer wrote in the fall of 2003 and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office on January 5, 2004. That is nearly two years before Ms. Scott allegedly posted portions of her novel on the Internet and approximately five years before Ms. Scott filed her copyright in September 2008."

Is this legit or just a pathetic attempt for attention. There are many differences between Scott and Meyer's books. Although Meyer's books are best-sellers worldwide, and Scott's books barely stocked in bookstores. How will this end? Will Meyer's books be pulled off of shelves as Scott's suit asks for damages. All I can say is interesting timing for the suit. I'm pretty sure Breaking Dawn has been out for a while.

Now those are subjective unless it is true that Ms Meyer's book Breaking Dawn had been officially registered with the US Copyright Office on January 5, 2004. As you can see above.

I will find out more if I can but if Ms Jordan Scott is lying and slandering Ms Meyers she may find herself in a lawsuit and may have shot herself in the foot. Interesting that she picks this time to start a lawsuit against Meyers now since her own book hasn't been selling........well you get the point.......everyone will now buy hers to see what the similarities.
Back to top Go down
Numpty

Numpty

Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?   Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:24 am

i do wonder sometimes, when writers say there story has been stolen..do they do this because of public interest ?. after all it puts there name out there for all to see..this might get the books flying of the shelfs...also there might be some tiny portion in the book thats similar to theres...

I remember reading a case against Joan collins,,cant remember the books envolved..but i do remember reading a passage from it..and it was almost word for word...Joan collins won the case.....

good thread Julie...
Back to top Go down
Bella

Bella

PostSubject: Re: Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?   Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 7:38 am

Numpty wrote:
i do wonder sometimes, when writers say there story has been stolen..do they do this because of public interest ?. after all it puts there name out there for all to see..this might get the books flying of the shelfs...also there might be some tiny portion in the book thats similar to theres...

I remember reading a case against Joan collins,,cant remember the books envolved..but i do remember reading a passage from it..and it was almost word for word...Joan collins won the case.....

good thread Julie...

Thanks Mark!

You know there are many cases of lawsuits over plagiarism. Yeah, it's mostly the unsuccessful writers (the woman in question has only sold 6,000 of her book while Ms Meyers has sold millions of all four of her books. Well, you understand where I am going with this.

Joan Collins has been a victim as well as JK Rowlings. Sad isn't it?

I wrote this on HD under news about horror. No one really read it I think but oh well.
Back to top Go down
Numpty

Numpty

PostSubject: Re: Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?   Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 2:04 am

I SAW IT THERE, A FEW MADE COMMENTS...
i think i did..not sure now, could have been on here only..i,ll look when im at home,and post some thing...
Back to top Go down
Bella

Bella

PostSubject: Re: Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?   Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 10:33 am

ARE YOU YELLING AT ME AGAIN? LOL just messin' with you Mark! I haven't been on that thread in a while. I will go back and check it out!

Hope your day is going well!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?   Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stephanie Meyers: Is she being sued for plagarism over her book Breaking Dawn?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Horror's Domain :: Horror :: Discussion-
Jump to: